Big Pharma Outlook 2026
Big Pharma Outlook 2026
Using in-house sales forecasts, this analysis explores and visualizes market dynamics in the Big Pharma peer set out to 2025.
Author: Ali Al-Bazergan
Publisher: Datamonitor Healthcare
About this report
Big Pharma is poised for growth due to strong launch portfolios, the availability of high-potential pipeline assets, and companies’ sharpened focus on high-performing markets. Using in-house sales forecasts, this analysis explores and visualizes market dynamics in the Big Pharma peer set out to 2026. Using an analysis of more than 400 products from the portfolios of 10 companies in the pharmaceutical industry, PharmaVitae forecasts that the Big Pharma peer set will add $25.3bn in sales, generating $331.7bn out to 2026. By delving deeper into revenue trends, therapy area performance, and strategic drivers, this analysis is vital to understanding how Big Pharma will navigate headwinds in order to steer towards robust growth.
Key questions answered
Explore and visualize market dynamics in the PharmaVitae Big Pharma peer set out to 2026 using 10-year in-house sales forecasts segmented by the following sections:
- Which will be the best performing companies out to 2026?
- Which companies will drive revenue growth over the forecast period?
- How will Big Pharma perform across the US, Japan, five major EU markets (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK) and RoW?
- Which companies will have leading market share gains and market share losses?
- Explore the PharmaVitae Index and how the portfolio compares against specific criteria.
Therapy area analysis
- What are the detailed competitive dynamics at play in the oncology, metabolic, and infectious diseases markets?
- Which companies are building leadership in specific therapy areas?
- How are late-stage pipelines positioned and what are the most coveted launch products?
- How many new blockbuster positions will Big Pharma carve out to 2026?
- Which therapy areas will experience the largest growth and decline?
- What are Big Pharma’s relative growth rankings?
- Which companies are reliant on pipeline launches to drive growth?
- Which companies will be most affected by future biosimilar and generic erosion out to 2026?
- How much is expected to be wiped off Big Pharma’s expiry portfolio?
- What are the most coveted pipeline assets and which companies have the most valuable launch portfolios?
- Which Big Pharma companies have the largest late-stage pipelines?
- How does therapy area concentration for Big Pharma compare to the rest of the industry?
- How is Big Pharma concentrated in regard to therapy area in late-stage assets?
- How is Big Pharma using licensing deals to propel growth and in what therapy areas are deals concentrated?
- How is Big Pharma capitalizing on immuno-oncology using M&A and deal-making?
- Can data transform pharmaceutical R&D to maintain a supply of innovative treatments?
- From R&D investment to externalization: where is Big Pharma maximizing value?
- Big Pharma prescription drug sales are forecast to grow to $331.7bn by 2026 at a compound annual growth rate of 0.8%.
- Number one company in 2021: Pfizer will maintain the top ranking in prescription drug sales out to 2021.
- Number one company in 2026: Roche will outperform Pfizer out to 2026.
- PharmaVitae Index: Roche tops the index with a score calculated from nine different metrics based on portfolio sales, pipelines, growth prospects, and financials.
- Most valuable product: Keytruda will become the highest selling product with global sales forecast at $8.9bn.
- Most lucrative therapy area: Oncology will maintain the largest proportion of Big Pharma prescription sales out to 2026.
- Most valuable class: PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors will continue to build momentum out to 2026.
- Pipeline launch analysis: Big Pharma’s launch portfolio is set to add $52.1bn in revenues out to 2026.
Big Pharma Outlook 2026 0
Analyst Outlook 6
Global prescription pharmaceutical revenue overview 8
Company performance ranking 8
Regional overview 11
Class overview 13
Blockbuster tracker 13
Top 20 products in 2026 15
PharmaVitae Index 16
Therapy Area Analysis 20
Global overview 20
Therapy Area Focus: Oncology 23
Oncology: Analysis and Trends 25
Therapy Area Focus: Infectious Diseases 29
Infectious Diseases: Analysis and Trends 31
Therapy Area Focus: Central Nervous System 38
Central Nervous System: Analysis and Trends 40
Therapy Area Focus: Cardiovascular & Metabolic 42
Metabolic: Analysis and Trends 43
Therapy Area Focus: Immunology and Inflammation 50
Big Pharma pipeline overview 56
Big Pharma Licensing Trends 2012–16 [March 2017] Click for full report 61
Immuno-Oncology Deal Trends, 2012-16 [April 2017] Click for full report 63
Transforming Pharmaceutical R&D with Data [May 2017] Click for full report 65
© Informa UK Ltd. This document is a licensed product and is not to be reproduced or redistributed
Do you have a subscription to Datamonitor Healthcare, Biomedtracker or Meddevicetracker? You may already have access to these reports, contact your account manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further help or assistance.