Market Spotlight: Hypogonadism
Market Spotlight: Hypogonadism
This Market Spotlight report covers the Hypogonadism market, comprising key marketed and pipeline drugs, clinical trials, upcoming events, patent information, and licensing and acquisition deals, as well as presenting drug-specific revenue forecasts.
Author: Informa Pharma Intelligence
Publisher: Datamonitor Healthcare
This Market Spotlight report covers the Hypogonadism market, comprising key marketed and pipeline drugs, recent events and analyst opinion, clinical trials, key upcoming and regulatory events, probability of success, patent information, epidemiology, and licensing and acquisition deals, as well as presenting drug-specific revenue forecasts.
- The approved drugs in the hypogonadism space target androgen receptors, estrogen receptor alpha, and estrogen receptor beta. These are commonly administered via the transdermal route, with a smaller number of products being available in oral, intramuscular, intranasal, sublingual/oral transmucosal, subcutaneous, and topical formulations.
- The largest proportion of industry-sponsored drugs in active clinical development for hypogonadism are in Phase II, with only one drug in the NDA/BLA phase.
- Therapies in development for hypogonadism focus on targets such as androgen receptors, estrogen receptor alpha, estrogen receptor beta, gonadotropin-releasing hormone, and aromatase. The majority of the pipeline drugs are administered via the oral route, with the remainder being subcutaneous and transdermal formulations.
- An expected PDUFA date for Tlando is the only high-impact upcoming event in the hypogonadism space. The overall likelihood of approval of a Phase I endocrine-other asset is 23.6%, and the average probability a drug advances from Phase III is 77.4%. Drugs, on average, take 9.2 years from Phase I to approval, compared to 9.1 years in the overall endocrine space.
- There have been 16 licensing and asset acquisition deals involving hypogonadism drugs during 2014–19. The $317.5m exclusive license agreement signed in 2014 between Apricus and Forendo for fispemifene, an investigational treatment for urological conditions in men, was the largest deal.
- The distribution of clinical trials across Phase I–IV indicates that trials for hypogonadism have been evenly split between the early and late phases of development, with 51% of trials in Phase I–II and 49% in Phase III–IV.
- The US has a substantial lead in the number of hypogonadism clinical trials globally. The UK leads the major EU markets, while India has the top spot in Asia.
- Clinical trial activity in the hypogonadism space is dominated by completed trials. AbbVie has the highest number of completed clinical trials for hypogonadism, with eight trials.
- AbbVie leads industry sponsors with the highest overall number of clinical trials for hypogonadism, followed by GlaxoSmithKline
6 KEY TAKEAWAYS
7 DISEASE BACKGROUND
8 Treatment of hypogonadism in females
8 Treatment of hypogonadism in males
10 MARKETED DRUGS
14 PIPELINE DRUGS
18 RECENT EVENTS AND ANALYST OPINION
18 Multiple Drugs for Hypogonadism (June 25, 2019)
18 Tlando for Hypogonadism (March 27, 2019)
21 KEY REGULATORY EVENTS
21 Tlando NDA Slated For Fall Action Following Resubmission
21 Surprise Approval For Clarus’s Oral Testosterone Includes Black Box, No REMS
22 PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS
23 LICENSING AND ASSET ACQUISITION DEALS
24 PARENT PATENTS
25 REVENUE OPPORTUNITY
26 CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
27 Sponsors by status
28 Sponsors by phase
30 Prescription information
LIST OF FIGURES
14 Figure 1: Overview of pipeline drugs for hypogonadism in the US
14 Figure 2: Pipeline drugs for hypogonadism, by company
15 Figure 3: Pipeline drugs for hypogonadism, by drug type
15 Figure 4: Pipeline drugs for hypogonadism, by classification
20 Figure 5: Tlando for Hypogonadism (March 27, 2019): Phase III – Ambulatory Blood Pressure Study (ABPM)
22 Figure 6: Probability of success in the hypogonadism pipeline
23 Figure 7: Licensing and asset acquisition deals in hypogonadism, 2015–20
24 Figure 8: Parent patents in hypogonadism
26 Figure 9: Clinical trials in hypogonadism
26 Figure 10: Top 10 drugs for clinical trials in hypogonadism
27 Figure 11: Top 10 companies for clinical trials in hypogonadism
27 Figure 12: Trial locations in hypogonadism
28 Figure 13: Hypogonadism trials status
29 Figure 14: Hypogonadism trials sponsors, by phase
LIST OF TABLES
11 Table 1: Marketed drugs for hypogonadism
16 Table 2: Pipeline drugs for hypogonadism in the US
18 Table 3: Multiple Drugs for Hypogonadism (June 25, 2019)
19 Table 4: Tlando for Hypogonadism (March 27, 2019)
25 Table 5: Historical global sales, by drug ($m), 2014–18
25 Table 6: Forecasted global sales, by drug ($m), 2020–24
© Informa UK Ltd. This document is a licensed product and is not to be reproduced or redistributed
Do you have a subscription to Datamonitor Healthcare, Biomedtracker or Meddevicetracker? You may already have access to these reports, contact your account manager or email email@example.com for further help or assistance.