Market Spotlight: Norovirus
Market Spotlight: Norovirus
This Market Spotlight report covers the Norovirus market, comprising key pipeline drugs, clinical trials, recent events, and an epidemiological overview.
Author: Informa Pharma Intelligence
Publisher: Datamonitor Healthcare
This Market Spotlight report covers the Norovirus market, comprising key pipeline drugs, clinical trials, probability of success, key upcoming events, and an epidemiological overview.
- Worldwide, about one out of every five cases of acute gastroenteritis is associated with norovirus. Norovirus is responsible for approximately 685 million cases of gastroenteritis every year.
- Globally, norovirus is estimated to cause approximately 200,000 deaths annually, including an estimated 50,000 child deaths, mainly in developing countries.
- The majority of industry-sponsored drugs in active clinical development for norovirus are in Phase I. All clinical candidates currently in the pipeline for norovirus are vaccines. These are administered via the oral, intranasal, and intramuscular routes.
- High-impact upcoming events for drugs in the norovirus space comprise topline Phase IIb trial results for Monovalent Norovirus VLP Vaccine, and topline Phase II trial results for VXA-G1.1-NN.
- The overall likelihood of approval of a Phase I antiviral asset is 14.1%, and the average probability a drug advances from Phase III is 74.6%. Drugs, on average, take 8.7 years from Phase I to approval, compared to 9.1 years in the overall infectious disease space.
- The distribution of clinical trials across Phase I–IV indicates that the vast majority of trials for norovirus have been in the early and mid-phases of development, with 90% of trials in Phase I–II, and only 10% in Phase III–IV.
- The US has a substantial lead in the number of norovirus clinical trials globally.
- Takeda has the highest number of completed clinical trials for norovirus, with 12 trials.
- Takeda leads the industry sponsors with the highest overall number of clinical trials for norovirus.
6 KEY TAKEAWAYS
7 DISEASE BACKGROUND
9 Norovirus outbreaks
9 Challenges for vaccine development
11 PIPELINE DRUGS
15 KEY UPCOMING EVENTS
16 PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS
17 CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
18 Sponsors by status
19 Sponsors by phase
LIST OF FIGURES
11 Figure 1: Overview of pipeline drugs for norovirus in the US
11 Figure 2: Pipeline drugs for norovirus, by company
11 Figure 3: Pipeline drugs for norovirus, by drug type
12 Figure 4: Pipeline drugs for norovirus, by classification
15 Figure 5: Key upcoming events in norovirus
16 Figure 6: Probability of success in the norovirus pipeline
17 Figure 7: Clinical trials in norovirus
17 Figure 8: Top 10 drugs for clinical trials in norovirus
18 Figure 9: Top 10 companies for clinical trials in norovirus
18 Figure 10: Trial locations in norovirus
19 Figure 11: Norovirus trials status
19 Figure 12: Norovirus trials sponsors, by phase
LIST OF TABLES
13 Table 1: Pipeline drugs for norovirus in the US
© Informa UK Ltd. This document is a licensed product and is not to be reproduced or redistributed
Do you have a subscription to Datamonitor Healthcare, Biomedtracker or Meddevicetracker? You may already have access to these reports, contact your account manager or email email@example.com for further help or assistance.